"Honor to the soldier and sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country's cause. Honor, also, to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field and serves, as he best can, the same cause."
- Abraham Lincoln
Here is a quiz for Veterans Day.
1. ___ Veterans Day pays tribute to Americans who served or are currently serving in a branch of the Armed Forces. Veterans Day is also known as
a. Armistice Day,
b. Flag Day,
c. Remembrance Day,
d. Your Mama Wears Army Boots Day.
2. ___ Veterans Day become a legal national holiday in
d. 2000 B.C.
3. ___ Veterans Day has been officially set to be celebrated on November 11 (Public Law 94-97) since
4. ___ Memorial Day is another holiday commemorating veterans who
a. served in a foreign war,
b. died in service to the country,
c. won the Medal of Honor,
d. lost their memory.
5. ___ The number 11 has very much significance with Veterans Day. On November 11th at the 11th hour, what war was formally ended?
a. the Civil War,
b. World War I,
c. World War II,
d. the War of Seven Come 11 Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes.
6. ___ There are approximately how many military veterans in the United States?
a. 6 million,
b. 15 million,
c. 19 million,
d. 48 bizillion.
7. ___ Approximately how many veterans are women?
a. 500 thousand,
b. 1.6 million,
c. 10.5 million,
d. all but one.
8. ___ Rank these in order of most veterans served (left to right = highest to lowest).
a. World War II, Vietnam War, Gulf War, Korean War
b. World War II, Gulf War, Korean War, Vietnam War
c. Gulf War, World War II, Vietnam War, Korean War
d. War of Words, War of the Sexes, War of Rye Bread, World of Warcraft
9. ___ The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is inscribed with these words: "Here rests in honored glory An American Soldier Known but to God." The tomb is located in
a. Gettysburg, Pennsylvania,
b. Arlington National Cemetery, Virginia
c. Soldiers Circle, District of Columbia
d. You Can't Get There From Here, Idaho
10. ___ As Veterans Day and the birthday of this Armed Service (November 10, 1775) are only one day apart, that branch of the Armed Forces customarily observes both occasions as a 96-hour liberty period. What is the branch?
a. the U.S. Army,
b. the U.S. Navy,
c. the U.S. Marine Corps,
d. the U.S. Bathtub Brigade.
11. ___ While the holiday is commonly printed as Veteran's Day or Veterans' Day in calendars and advertisements (spellings that are grammatically acceptable), the United States Department of Veterans Affairs Web site states that the attributive (no apostrophe) rather than the possessive case is the official spelling because
a. it is less confusing,
c. it is without a singular or plural state of “union,”
d. typing an apostrophe is too mentally taxing.
12. ___ The Federal government observes Veterans Day as a holiday. What is NOT a public holiday for Federal employees?
a. Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.,
b. Columbus Day,
c. Birthday of Abraham Lincoln,
d. President's Day (Washington's Birthday).
Answers: 1. A 2. C 3. A 4. B 5. B 6. C 7. B 8. A 9. B 10. C 11. B 12. C