Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Punctuation, Baby

I Want You To Be My Punctuation Baby or "The Disambiguation Formulation" I'd like to hand you a ? and ask you do to find the right answer. I'd like to slow you down with a , to give me a chance to breathe. I'd like to repeat what you said with a set of " and capture it on paper. I'd like to make an ! and have you tell me how you feel. I'd like to make a statement, introduce it with a : and have you list the reasons. I'd like to write a sentence followed by a ; and have you express another closely related thought. I'd like to interrupt my statement with a set of ( ) and have you place less important information between. I'd like to write an adjective that is compound and have you place a - between the two related words. I'd like to write a sentence and give you a set of -- to interrupt it with something that needs emphasized. I'd like to give you an ' so you can have you have a shortened contraction. I'd like to supply you with a quote and give you ... to show me what's been left out. I'd like to end it with a . and never discuss it anymore.

3 comments:

Dave E said...

I never had an English teacher who looked as good as her! No offense, Mr. Thompson, but baby got back! lol

Frank Thompson said...

She is really fine, Dave. And, she is an expert on punctuation to boot. I think she lives in San Antonio, somewhere out "back" of the Alamo.

Dave E said...

I need to track her down, so she can school me!