Thursday, April 18, 2024

Flying In Your Dreams? My Friendly Skies Persist.

 



Did you ever feel  the urge to let go ... jump out of your skin ... remove negative intuitions ... resist accidental limitations ... and just fly? Free as a bird. Stark as hell. And, I don't mean just take off silently through the air, but instead, climb effortlessly though the clouds while loudly voicing all your deepest thoughts and mannerisms without a single regret for your words or for explaining your tremendous feat.

Scream therapy, as it’s currently known, is not a new concept. In the 1970s, psychologist Arthur Janov developed the idea of ‘primal therapy’. Based on the idea that neurosis is the result of repressed childhood trauma, or ‘primal pain’, Janov hypothesized that screaming and other physical outlets could release this trauma and make way for healing. 

In his book The Primal Scream, Janov described 'primal pain’ as “deprivation or injury which threatens the developing child… It is not hurt as such which defines Primal Pain but rather the context of the hurt or its meaning to the impressionable developing consciousness of the child.” 

Not pain child consciousness? What the hell? I'm not a kid, but a seventy-three year old, one who seeks to spread new wings and shout our all my repressed thoughts to the world. I want to soar with the updrafts and squawk at anyone withing earshot, spilling my stories into the good, fresh air. I'm pretty sure that flying, screaming version of Frank would scare the bejesus out of those below.

Think of it -- the ability to fly. in dreams, I merely raise my arms and experience my special ability. I often levitate at will in my dreams, usually when trying to express my individuality to someone, or to escape danger or even lose ever-dreaded normality  (as in performing a real stunt, not a fake trick). I never hurt anyone while I'm in the air; however, I enjoy being the one with this Superman special power. Just floating at ease and taking it all it, I always wake before descending. No crash. Just towering above others with no blood and guts endings. It's marvelous.

 Psychologists say flying in dreams often signifies the following:

1. Freedom and Escape

Flying in dream often serves as powerful expressions of yearning for liberation and breaking free from perceived restrictions.

2. Elevation of Perspective ⁤

Dreams of flying absolutely symbolize gaining a wider and more illuminating perspective on your waking life. They often occur when entangled in emotionally charged conflicts, overwhelming day-to-day details, or a nagging sense of feeling stuck in a repetitive pattern.

3. Sense of Empowerment and Control ⁤

Flying in dream where you experience the thrill of flight often signifies a powerful surge of confidence and ownership over your life’s direction. This newfound self-assuredness may stem from achieving a long-held goal, overcoming a formidable obstacle, or breaking free from limiting self-beliefs.

⁤4. Aspiration and Ambition ⁤

Dreams of flying often mirror your deepest ambitions and the yearning to reach new heights in your life. They can signify aiming for success and recognition in your career, greater creative fulfillment, or longing for profound personal growth on every level.

5. Transcendence and Spiritual Growth ⁤

Flying in dream powerfully symbolize a longing for spiritual expansion and transcending everyday limitations. They frequently arise during deep introspection, when questioned about long-held beliefs, or amidst a renewed yearning for connection to something greater than yourself. Soaring without effort into ethereal spaces in your dream implies a readiness to detach from the purely material and explore the depths of your being.

 ("Flying in Dream – Meaning & Symbolism. mindberg.org.

I agree with many of these intentions in my past dreaming experience. I am pretty sure the transcendence is right on, but I fail to see what it reveals about "the depths of my being." My flights never seem to offer explanations, yet these weightless trips defy gravity, and they do offer gratifying elevations of perceptions. It's like: "Check this out" when I levitate and discover a new view of the place below.

 According to professional dream interpreter Lauri Loewenberg, flying dreams are really common for children but tend to taper off as we get older. Maybe, like my wife reminds me daily, "I'm never going to grow up.

(Sarah Regen."Keeping Flying Around In Your Dreams? Here's What It Means, According To A Dream Interpreter." MBG Mindfulness. September 20, 2023.)

Another flying dream Loewenberg has heard about from her clients is one in which you're trying to show off the fact that you can fly. You might call down to the people below to get their attention, for example.

In this case, she says, there's something in your real life that you feel you deserve recognition for, but you might not be getting it.

Great -- I guess I'll just continue to be a flying-showoff lacking satisfaction. 

You may fly with wings; however I just extend my arms to take to the friendly skies. Expert dream interpreters say, "This dream likely emphasizes personal effort and self-confidence in achieving your goals. It suggests building up your determination or belief in yourself if you struggle to remain airborne. Soaring easily represents strong self-assuredness and willpower, propelling you toward success in any area where you feel stagnant.

I love the ability to control my altitude in my dreams. I can go upwards inside to touch the roof or just as easily explore the outside world from most any altitude with ease. I do not no flap my arms necessary either: I just use slight hand motions and arm changes fueled by will power, and I can control all my directions. I wonder if my "success" attributions will come to fruition? Did I fly to what little success I've had, or, as I fear, did my accolades occur in strictly lucky circumstances?

Don't misinterpret my feelings about taking flight in dreamland. I find it both exhilarating and extremely realistic. In fact, I have awoken and tried to levitate a couple of times. Never have I raised an inch except in the magical world of sleep. And, I do remember being pissed off a couple of times when I couldn't perform waking flight after opening my eyes. 

Berit Brogaard D.M.Sci, PH.D in Psychology Today claims flying in dreams likely symbolizes some relief or excitement in your waken life. I beg to differ, but I think flying in dreams symbolizes many things (or nothing at all) -- not relief and not excitement in my waken state of live. It just occurs at random and not after the least exciting part of my old geezer existence. 

That said, I think I deserve a flight tonight for merely thinking about writing this idea. Make that a double --  a long flight with good-intentioned excitement. My portent is yet to be discovered. If it happens, and it's good, I'll write a followup complete with all detail ... likely not much in my failing memory.

No comments: