Friday, April 3, 2009

Rhythm and Blues

Take me where I can find some R&B In Somewhere, U.S.A. Listening to electric blues, soul and gospel And echoes of Louis Jordan's boogie woogie and Lionel's jump. Put my feet on Beale Street for Stax Records In Memphis, Tennessee, Listening to "Hip Hug Her" and the Hammond B-3 organ of Booker T. and the M.G.'s And "These Arms of Mine" by Otis Redding. Let me wander to Cosimo Studios In New Orleans, Louisiana, Where musicians pour out heavy bass and strong drums for Dr. John's piano And "Tell It Like It Is" by the Neville Brothers. Send me north to the Snake Pit of Hitsville U.S.A. In Detroit, Michigan, Grooving to the Oreo guitars and twin drums behind Smokey And "Ain't That Peculiar" by Marvin Gaye. Let me go to 2120 South Michigan Avenue and Chess Records In Chicago, Illinois, Wrapping my ears around the clean, pure blues of Willie Dixon And "Mannish Boy" by Father Muddy Waters. Point my feet south to Jackson Highway and the Swampers In Muscle Shoals, Alabama, Playing the unmistakable bare soul of Lady Aretha And "I Found a Love" by Wilson Pickett. Don't forget to take me to the Brill Building at 1619 Broadway In New York, New York, Listening to the blue-eyed soul songwriters Neil Sedaka, Carole King, And Burt Bacharach writing "The Look of Love" to get Don Kirshner another hit. Set me close to the Ohio River and King Records In Cincinnati, Ohio, Dancing to the twisting sounds of Hank Ballard & The Midnighters And "Prisoner of Love" by James "The Godfather" Brown. Take me where I can find some R&B In Lost City, U.S.A. Someone must still record the soulful, gritty sandpaper That smooths the rough edges of my heart. Somewhere?

No comments: