Thursday, November 10, 2016

President Trump's Promises -- A Scorecard

 


In one of the most shocking U.S. elections in modern political history, Donald Trump won the office of President of the United States on November 8, 2016. For his supporters, the victory was an unprecedented, hard-earned accomplishment for the populist movement. For others, the reality of a Trump presidency seems full of trepidation and doubt. 


 Many people supported Trump from their anger, their sense that the country needs a big change, and their belief that the government is broken. Others said they voted for him as the “lesser of two evils” while despising Democratic Candidate Hillary Clinton.

The astonishing victory for the businessman and political novice definitely signals great change in government. With a Republican Congress, Trump now faces passing his agenda.

Donald Trump pushed a package of ethics reforms he said would "drain the swamp" of Washington, D.C., including strict limitations on lobbying and a constitutional amendment imposing term limits on Congress.

In victory, Trump pledged, "I will not let you down. The forgotten man and woman will never be forgotten again. We will all come together as never before." And he pledged to act quickly and accomplish many of his promises in the first 100 days of his presidency.
 
I congratulate Donald Trump and the Trump faithful on their victory. I also pledge to respect and honor the Office of the President of the United States. However, as a Trump opponent, I remain doubtful that he will accomplish many of his reforms. And, in fact, I hope he is unsuccessful with specific changes he wishes to make.

 Here are the Trump promises I oppose. I suggest you may want to review them for yourself and make your own conclusions as to whether you support each one. Then, you may want to copy this list and use it as a scorecard for the reforms that actually take place.

Trump's Beliefs I Oppose 

I am opposed to repealing “Obamacare” and starting all over. 

I am opposed to terminating President Obama's executive order relating to immigration.

I am opposed to deporting 11 million immigrants illegally living in the United States.

I am opposed to ending birthright citizenship.
I am opposed to building a wall on the southern border to block out Mexican immigrants.

I am opposed to making Mexico pay for the wall on the southern border.

I am opposed to suspending the admission of Syrian refugees.

I am opposed to temporarily banning most foreign Muslims from entering the United States.

I am opposed to ordering a review of every single (Obama) regulation issued the last eight years.

I am opposed to terminating every unconstitutional executive order signed by President Obama.

I am opposed to stop trying to tackle global warming.

I am opposed to severing Chinese-American trade with a 45% tariff on all Chinese imports.

I am opposed to prosecuting Hillary Clinton for the email debacle.

I am opposed to defunding Planned Parenthood.

I am opposed to overturning Roe v. Wade and penalizing women who have abortions.

I am opposed to letting the states decide the minimum wage.

I am opposed to slashing taxes for the wealthy, adding $10 trillion in tax revenue to the national debt.

I am opposed to stopping spending on space exploration.

I am opposed to getting rid of gun free zones and putting more guns in the classroom.

I am opposed to allowing Russia to deal with the Islamic State in Syria.

I am opposed to bombing “the shit” out of ISIS and seizing the foreign oil fields.

I am opposed to revoking the nuclear agreement with Iran.

I am opposed to allowing Japan to have nuclear weapons.

I am opposed to making Ford Motor Company pay a tax of 35% for every car coming from Mexico.

I am opposed to withdrawing from NATO.

I am opposed to legalizing waterboarding as a form of torture while violating international law.

I am opposed to having a President who ignores political correctness and uses threats and insults.

I am opposed to having a President who shows a blatant disregard for women.

I am opposed to having a Commander-in-Chief who claims he knows more than his generals.


Footnote

I want you to know that although Hillary Clinton won the popular vote in the nation, being Hillary supporters made us a minority in our state and in our county. Supporting Clinton for President in Scioto Country was very difficult in the face of great numbers who opposed our views. It is impossible to count the number of times on social media I, personally, was the target of name calling and denigrating remarks for my support of Hillary. It was very disparaging to see these personal insults – not attacks on platforms but attacks on my character. My wife endured the same condemnation. We are healing our wounds.

The attacks were so much more painful when President Obama was morphed to Hillary like some two-headed beast – “You libtards support the Antichrist and Killery.” They were overbearingly extreme when I was called a “baby killer” for my views on abortion. It is impossible to forget deep-seated hatred. I regret that friends have been lost, but, in some ways, it's good to see the transparency. Now, they have the majority rule – the presidency and the congress – so let's see what transpires.

I believe President Obama is a great president. I am very sad that he did not receive the support that he so desperately needed to implement more of his goals. I will miss this classy individual and his wonderful family in the White House. Yes, I believe me and my family are far better off today than we were eight years ago. I want to thank President Barack Obama for his service to the country and wish him luck in the next phase of his life. We love you, Mr. President.

No comments: