Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Local TV News Broadcasts -- Too Much Weather


Forecasting is very difficult, especially when it involves the future.”

Yogi Berra (1925-2015), Major League catcher and coach

I turn on the evening or late local TV news, and I find it totally obsessed with information about the weather – not reporting about a disaster or dire forecast, but simply telling me what to expect when I venture outside tomorrow. The broadcast begins with a forecast, goes into much more detail later, and ends with “a pleasant reminder” of the prognostication. It seems as if the station thinks either I'm too dumb to remember what's coming without reminder after reminder or believes I have a severe case of ombrophobia (fear of rain).

I don't need that much coverage about the weather. I would prefer that the half hour program featured more local news rather than weather, weather, weather. Lord, I get all of this detailed information about weather stuff I really don't care about – including hourly dopler radar, positions of fronts, directions of clouds, dew points, relative humidity, and much, much more. 

Usually all I care to know about the weather is if it's going to rain or snow tomorrow. I need only basic information about the next 24 hours (48 hours top). Besides, my limited geezer brain these days gets confused by the slightest complications. And, my memory is totally incapable of remembering whether I took my prescriptions this morning, much less if the sun will shine five days from now. 

Too much detail! What do I care about a ten day forecast that I'm pretty sure is going to change at least five times before the limits of the prediction? To make things worse, the stations promote the programs with attractive names like “AccuWeather” and “Storm Tracker” to create the illusions that forecasts are foolproof and vital to the existence of life outdoors.

Spectrum News has “Weather on the 1's,” which features an update like every ten minutes. What the hell constantly changes in ten minutes? That's more weather than my simple mind can contemplate: I usually don't care if it's raining or threatening rain or partly cloudy or fair. I'm just happy to be alive in any weather the Man Upstairs chooses to send my way. Besides, I have the Weather Channel if I want inundated with information.

A few years ago in 2007, Andy Tarnoff of OnMilwaukee online media said a recent study by the American Association of Advertising Agencies (AAAA) and the Association of National Advertisers, Inc. (ANA) showed that local news broadcasts 19:06 minutes of ads per hour. Split that in half, and you have about 20.5 minutes of "news" per half-hour cast. 

Tarnoff estimated that weather comprised at least six minutes per broadcast, when you include all the "weather first" segments and weather babbling at the end of each show. By his math, that's 29 percent of the local news devoted to run-of-the-mill weather. It's probably more time than that now with all the newfangled weather technology on display,

When I was 17 (In '68, I believe), I worked for a while at Frank's Car Wash on Scioto Trail – one of those hook 'em up, drag a car through operations. Labor was all manual – no machines but pits with folks doing suds and rinse details. In anticipation of wages for $1.00 an hour, workers would gather before opening every morning while owner Frank scanned the skies and decided how many hands to keep and pay on that particular day. And, if it did rain, he shut the car wash down and employees simply earned less.

Things were so much simpler then. People weren't so excited about knowing the forecast. It was often wrong anyhow. In fact, some of the best times I remember involved unexpected showers and similar weather events. The spontaneity made things more exciting. The unpredictability typically made people smile or simply grit their teeth and bear a little inconvenience. 

For example, when I worked as a lifeguard at Lake Margaret, a sudden rain would send everyone rushing for cover in the clubhouse. During the wait for the rain to stop, I remember people playing the jukebox, lots of animated teens eating and drinking and dancing, and even providing a welcome hug for one or two og the young ladies who were freezing in their skimpy bathing suits. (The least I could do)

But, one time I remember getting ready to play a high school baseball game and having no idea a tornado was approaching. It was April 23, 1968. and a hard rain began to fall under a weird-looking sky. Knowing we were rained out, we quickly ran to our cars and headed for home. The wind suddenly became so strong that I had to pull over and weather the rest of the storm in the intermediate school parking lot, just several hundred feet from the ball field.

This was a devastating EF-5 tornado that wreaked havoc on Wheelersburg that day.

The tornado cut a 2,500-foot-wide swath through the town and through rural areas nearly to Galipollis. Sixty-nine homes and 28 other buildings were destroyed, and another 476 structures were damaged in the tornado. Seven people lost their lives, and 100 others were seriously hurt.

That tornado largely missed Lucasville (Unlike the one that hit in April 1965 and left the remains of Gahm's store all over Haystack Hill.); however, when I reached home in the Marca subdivision in '68, I discovered the tornado had skipped over the hills there and torn a corner off the Gilmore's home on nearby Lang Lane. My mom weathered it out as the wind blew out our front picture window, scaring her silly. Part of the frame of the Gilmore's home was embedded in the ground in our front yard. 

That was a little too close for comfort. I certainly would have appreciated modern advance warnings that day – in a time before cell phones and all the technical early warning systems. Then, the danger was something we found ourselves quickly adapting to. 

But, I digress. Back to my original thesis. 

So much weather coverage in a local newscast is driving me bonkers. I wonder if stations just don't have the time, ability, or confidence to dig out more news to fill the report and present a more condensed forecast. Our closest stations are in Huntington, West Virginia, and they cover very little Southern Ohio news – a change would be welcome. 

But, hell, maybe people like this weather coverage overload. I don't understand the texting/smartphone obsession either – I'll be visiting four other people in a room and all of them will be hovering over their devices and twittering their fingers during a supposed “face-to-face conversation,” so in 2021, the need to be informed every minute about every little thing that's happening on God's green Earth could just be part of the fixation on technology. 

According to recent statistics from techjury.net, 77% of Americans have smartphones. 47% of these U.S. smartphone users say they couldn’t live without their devices. GenZ, GenX, and Millenials statistics on US smartphone use for 2020 reveal that a staggering 65.6% of Americans check their phones up to 160 times daily. 

Now, we have something called “nomophobia” or no–mobile-phone-phobia. Simply put, it’s the fear of not having your phone with you. Techjury reports 66% of the population shows signs of nomophobia. Believe it or not, 75% of Americans use their mobile phones in that sacred place of refuge – the toilet.

The exponential growth of technology has benefited society, but there is a another side to the dependence on staying constantly connected. We seem to be losing important aspects of the human experience. Has anyone else noticed folks becoming more and more impatient, impulsive, forgetful and even narcissistic? Not to mention, the growing number of people who can't hold a simple conversation? 

Perhaps a psychotic dependency on knowing the weather forecast – similar to smartphone dominion – will eventually spawn a movement to stop having popular events in fear of being caught in unfavorable atmospheric conditions. Officials and participants will become overly alarmed about forebodings of unfavorable precipitation, wind, lightning, clouds, pollen and mold counts. 

The result? People eventually just won't want to leave home in fear of encountering what they consider to be a disagreeable environment. Instead, they will stay put, fire up their devices, and enter virtual reality – a safe place for picnics, outdoor concerts, sporting events, and the rest.

And, if this happens, weather – sunshine, rain, sleet, or snow – just won't matter. The only problem for local tv weather broadcasters is that no one will watch their elaborate programming. Instead, humans will be happily engaged in artificial, three-dimensional computer modeling and simulation – a “perfect” world where mankind forgets to live real lives and becomes chronically disconnected from their human biological needs. 

Of course, then it will be too late for people to care about reality at all. They will not be able to distinguish out-of-body from in-body experiences. Can you imagine? And, it's all because of this overabundance of local television weather coverage. Shame on you, Tony Cavalier. It's enough to make me go outside and see if it looks like rain – just like we all did in the old days. 

Someone told me long ago
There's a calm before the storm
I know, it's been comin' for some time
When it's over so they say
It'll rain a sunny day
I know, shinin' down like water

I wanna know
Have you ever seen the rain?
I wanna know
Have you ever seen the rain
Comin' down a sunny day?

From “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” by Creedence Clearwater Revival




No comments: