Tuesday, September 17, 2019

On Being a Hillbilly -- Definitions and Understandings



I have lived in 16 States
But of all I ever saw
There is no place like living
Down in old Arkansaw

They all wear homemade clothing
Both the men and females
While the children with dirty faces
All go in their shirttails

The men drink moonshine whiskey
The women chew and dip
And the big gals go barefooted
With tobacco on their lip….

All are free-hearted
And respect the moral law
Is the reason I love to live
Down in old Arkansaw.

Marion Hughes, Three Years in Arkansaw (1904)

I am a hillbilly. Born and raised in Appalachia, I have lived in the foothills of the Appalachians in Southern Ohio all of my life – now 68+ years. While existing among widespread stereotypes of Appalachian people as being backwards, ignorant, and lazy, I deny the derogatory portrayal of local residents as yokels, bumpkins, and rednecks.

Granted, having a sense of humor and being able to laugh about yourself are desirable character traits; however, embracing negativity can also lead to self-defeating behaviors. I claim no part of the clownish connotations of a hillbilly rube. My connection to the rural culture involves a deep commitment to preserving the wisdom of the resourceful people who pioneered this land.

Despite disproportionately adverse living conditions in severely distressed counties, Appalachians continue to embrace positive values such as self-reliance, faith, love of family, and humility. “Hillbilly” is a descriptive term penned to typecast residents of Appalachia, particularly those in the Southern region. Most of the negativity associated with the word is a product of published generalizations formulated to feed a colorful and wild American caricature.

The word hillbilly (noun, from hill + Billy/Billie, popular or pet form of William) has two early references believed to be the first in print. One appeared on July 1892:

I would hate to see some old railroad man come here and take my job, and then, I don't think it is right to hire some Hill Billy and give him the same right as I just because he was hired the same time I was.”

(The Railroad Trainmen's Journal," Vol. IX, July 1892.)

The journal article focused on the political importance and autonomy of mountain folk who happily accept free liquor and campaign payouts from one candidate only to vote for his rival. Clearly derogatory and accentuating the poverty and improper social behavior of its subject, it also suggests more admirable attributes of freedom, self-identity, and independence.

And, another reference appeared in 1900 in a New York Journal article describing the "hill-billie" as …

In short, a Hill-Billie is a free and untrammelled (sic meaning “not confined, limited, or impeded”) white citizen of Alabama, who lives in the hills, has no means to speak of, dresses as he can, talks as he pleases, drinks whiskey when he gets it, and fires of his revolver as the fancy takes him.

(New York Journal. April 23, 1900)


Starting as a regional label with a specific localized significance, the term and persona were soon spread by jokebook writers, professional linguists and, above all, the new mass medium of motion pictures. In hundreds of action shorts, directors such as D. W. Griffith (himself a Kentuckian) depicted a violent and lawless people whose feuds and drunkenness posed a serious threat to the “proper” late-Victorian social order.

By the mid 1910s, however, silent films and other popular culture media began to present a parallel but distinct interpretation of the mountaineer as a comical foil for bumbling urban naifs. Despite its evolving meaning, “hillbilly” remained a relatively uncommon and thoroughly ambiguous label throughout this era.

The "classic" hillbilly stereotype reached its current characterization during the years of the Great Depression, when many mountaineers left their homes to find work in other areas of the country. The period of Appalachian out-migration, roughly from the 1930s through the 1950s, saw many mountain residents moving north to the Midwestern industrial cities of Chicago, Cleveland, Akron, and Detroit.

In the 1930s, that icon was solidified through the hillbilly characters of Paul Webb's “Mountain Boys” cartoons in Esquire magazine, Al Capp's “Li'l Abner,” and Billy DeBeck's “Barney Google and Snuffy Smith.” These characters and their cartoon-world antics forever etched the hillbilly caricature into popular culture.

The origin of the term is disputed. Some etymologists cite the origins of the word hillbilly in a reference to Scottish and Ulster-Scottish (Scots-Irish) people whose songs and ballads dealt with William, Prince of Orange, who defeated the Catholic King James II of the Stuart family at the Battle of the Boyne, Ireland in 1690.

Others like Michael Montgomery, in From Ulster to America: The Scotch-Irish Heritage of American English, posit it was coined In Ulster to refer to followers of King William III and brought to America by early Ulster emmigrants.

Anthony Harkins, in Hillbilly: A Cultural History of an American Icon, states that the most credible theory of the term’s origin is that it derives from the linkage of two older Scottish expressions, “hill-folk” and “billie” which was a synonym for “fellow,” similar to “guy” or “bloke.”

Speculation? The proof of usage offered in the journal articles previously cited stands as the published origins in America. The Dictionary of Smoky Mountain English says of the word hillbilly – “origin obscure, attested only since 1900” – which makes it a modern term. That, to me, is the origin that speaks volumes.

Middle-class Americans imagined hillbillies as an exotic race, akin to blacks and Indians, but still native and white, as opposed to the growing influx of immigrants in the first half of the 20th century. Crude caricatures of Southern mountaineers persisted long after similar ethnic and racial stereotypes had become socially unacceptable.

I am a hillbilly. I have a distinct hillbilly Southern accent. I live my hillbilly life in Southern Ohio, not in West Virginia or Arkansas. As a hillbilly, I have weathered all of the attempts of others to pigeonhole me into ambiguous Appalachian stereotypes.

As a hillbilly, I love my humble home and the hills of my natural environment. I am connected with my past. I am not like Jed Clampett or Li'l Abner – these hillbillies are products of somebody's income-seeking imagination. However, I don't deny my regional folk roots – they are full of stories and myths. Some are painful tales of the reality of living in an impoverished area where opportunities seldom come knocking. Others tell of the boundless spirit of poor people facing seemingly insurmountable obstacles.

Call me an American “hillbilly.” I like the term even though some still use it for derision and laughs. You see, I understand the origin of the word, and I also understand the false representations are misguided over-generalizations that encourage prejudice – prejudice based on a sensational ignorance meant to promote class structure.

The criticism of an entire culture, a group that has suffered from negative stereotypes seemingly forever is something to which we hillbillies have grown accustomed. You see, I live in the hills – not around them, not below them … and certainly not above them. Appalachia is a part of me, a fact of which I am exceedingly proud. If you are a hillbilly, I think you know exactly what I am saying.

I’m a hillbilly, a woman and a poet, and I understood early on that nobody was going to listen to anything I had to say anyway, so I might as well just say
what I want to.”

Irene McKinney, West Virginia Poet Laureate

Sources:

Rudy Abramson and Jean Haskell, Editors. Excerpt: The Encyclopedia of Appalachia. National Public Radio

Anthony Harkins. Hillbilly: A Cultural History of an American Icon. 2005.

Dave Tabler.” The word ‘Hillbilly': Linguistic Mystery and Popular Culture Fixture.” appalachianhistory.net. March 5, 2012.




No comments: